[Tfug] net

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Wed May 14 21:07:45 MST 2008

On May 13, 2008, at 9:00 pm, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:

> Thanks. I am aware that command not found means it wasn't found
> on the path.
Fair enough.
> The reason I assumed the command was root only, is
> that it worked as root and not as a non-root user, so I figured
> it correctly removed from the non-root user path.
Well, now I guess you know /sbin contains commands that can do read-
only things as a non-root user.

> And yes, I do
> realize that the path is different for root and non-root users,
> but why would I assume that a program that can successfully be
> executed by a non-root user would only be in the root path.
Tradition. ping is a similar command. iirc, Linux places this in a */
bin path, not */sbin. Darwin has it in /sbin. mount is another one.
It's a good idea to provide some of their functionality to non-root
users.

> Sure it may be silly to you, but it is a reasonable assumption.
Well "silly" is subjective. We try stuff out ... right?

Do you think it's silly to say this?
>> And then there's the maxim: Never run as root commands which can be
>> run as a regular user.

> Errrr....thanks? I am not the OP, nor do I need the script.
No, but check the address I mailed it to. You and *billions* of
others! :-P

> Additionally, I do my part to try to help others but I don't ask
> for praise and thanks.
Hey, yeah. I was being unnecessarily snarky with "You're welcome".
Sorry. But it *was* in response to your "Too much work". Thanks for
recognizing that it *does* take work though...

> Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but I
> am a bit inebriated. In this case I don't see what's so hard
> about parsing the ifconfig output in your head.
I dunno, I like a challenge. And often these things prove useful;
usually in another script.

R.