[Tfug] Debian Testing Icedove fonts too small

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Sun May 11 15:23:15 MST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:32:27PM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> I upgraded my laptop to Debian Testing (Lenny). After the upgrade
> both Iceweasel and Icedove application fonts (not just the fonts
> for pages and emails) are much smaller than they used to be.
>
> I fixed the problem for Iceweasel by reinstalling msttcorefonts.
> But that did not help Icedove. Additionally, I have checked out
> several other applications, none of which have this problem. I
> looked at: Pidgin, Gimp, Epiphany, Nautilus.
>
> Any thoughts? I've no clue where to start.

Okay, this is to confirm that it's not just you.  My system locked up
last night (no, I still haven't been to track down the source of the
problem) and when I rebooted a bunch of my fonts were smaller too.  It
appears to be affecting only TrueType fonts, so I'm seeing it in my
Xterms and gtk-enabled apps such as Emacs, Firefox, etc.  And it's not
showing up in E|Aterms (I don't know which I'm using), FVWM's pagers
or titlebars, etc.

This suggests that the problem is  with gtk, the ttf fontserver, the system
that takes care of antialiasing (I can't recall what it's called), or
some interaction therein.

I'm too busy to worry about it at the moment but you might want to
check recent bug reports to see if anybody's submitted something about
it.  I recall that the X subsystem was upgrade a short while ago
(maybe as recently as a week or so), so that's probably the cause.
So, you might also just want to wait a few days to see if a new update
gets pushed through to Testing that solves the problem.  (And,
actually, speak of which, I was upgrading my system as I wrote this
email and I'm seeing that a new GTK subsystem is about to come down.
I'll let you know if that solves it.)

Claude