[Tfug] Presario Install

hharden71 at netzero.net hharden71 at netzero.net
Sat May 10 23:16:11 MST 2008

I just purchased a Compaq Presario:
Dropped a live CD into it and booted into GRUB without a problem.
After loading the kernel and some of the drivers it choked and kicked me into a terminal.  With an error message that it couldn't identify the CD/DVD Rom.  I've never seen this before do any of you have a good idea how to overcome this obstacle?

2.0Ghz Intel Dual Core processor
2 Gigs RAM
500 MB SATA Hdd
CD/DVD writer SATA (I think - haven't cracked the case)

link to system stats
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/desktops/SR5000_series/rts/3/computer_store/KJ383AA%2523ABA

I tried:
XUbuntu 7.04
Backtrack Linux 3-Beta
Antix Mepis 6.5
Puppy 2.12
All had the same error.
Zenwalk 4.4.1 repartitioned the HDD but then failed in the same manner when it came time to install the OS.

Note: HP will give me support only for the OS which the system came pre-installed.  This is not a suprise and is the expected answer.