[Tfug] Debian Testing Icedove fonts too small

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Sat May 10 21:58:40 MST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:32:27PM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> I upgraded my laptop to Debian Testing (Lenny). After the upgrade
> both Iceweasel and Icedove application fonts (not just the fonts
> for pages and emails) are much smaller than they used to be.
>
> I fixed the problem for Iceweasel by reinstalling msttcorefonts.
> But that did not help Icedove. Additionally, I have checked out
> several other applications, none of which have this problem. I
> looked at: Pidgin, Gimp, Epiphany, Nautilus.
>
> Any thoughts? I've no clue where to start.

Firefox, etc use gtk for font configuration.  I don't know if this
will work but you might want to check your default gtk fonts.  For
example, in ~/.gtk-rc-2.0 I have: gtk-font-name = "DejaVu Sans 10"

The other thing, of course, is to double check to make sure that fonts
are configured correctly in Xorg.  So check to make sure that the font
ordering is correct in your xorg.conf (if applicable) and that all of
the proper font packages are installed.  Finally, make sure that
nothing's screwed up with any local font cache that you may have
(e.g., ~/.fonts).

Fonts are a pain in the butt.

Claude