[Tfug] firefox

James Hood ebenblues at gmail.com
Tue May 6 08:51:00 MST 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM, christopher <skeptikos at gmail.com> wrote:

> ok, without starting a bunch of flaming, I'd like to
> know what's so great about firefox. I love opera, but

I've been using FF since it was Phoenix 0.2. What originally attracted me to
FF was that the developers' goal was to provide a lightweight browser with
an emphasis on speed. The plugin architecture allowed you to make it as
feature-rich as you wanted. I tried Opera also, but at the time, IT felt
bloated and clunky next to FF.

For those of us who have used it from the beginning, FF 2 was a real let
down because it seemed to go against their original philosophy and now the
app feels bloated. But FF became so unexpectedly popular that I think the
dev's had to find a balance between their original goal and having a browser
that your average Joe user can start using immediately without having to
search through the myriad of plugins to have something simple like RSS feeds
(live bookmarks). It probably would have been better to stick with their
original goal, but make a preconfigured version of FF available for
newbies...

James

--
"The humble learn the fastest because they don't waste time on defending a
false image."