[Tfug] Firefox pretty recipe

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Mon May 5 18:49:54 MST 2008

99% of people's complaints about Firefox's aesthetic appeal can be
resolved in five steps.

0) Exit out of X11 and drop to a console.
1) Edit ~/.gtkrc-2.0, and add the following line:  gtk-font-name =
"UnDotum 10"
2) apt-get install ttf-un* ...this will install a few nice TrueType fonts.
3) Launch X, go to Firefox, go to Preferences, and set all proportional
fonts in Firefox to use UnDotum 10
4) Download the "Modern" theme for Firefox and use it.

Having things pretty makes a world of difference.. Unfortunately, most
Linux developers wouldn't know pretty if it crawled up their ass and
opened up a Wal-Mart.

As for it being "clunky", try to avoid running a resource-hungry
desktop. The truth is, very few people really need GNOME or KDE.. They
just need an application launcher and a file management tool. Overbuilt,
overengineered desktop environments will make everything feel
clunky/slow, even on fast machines. Look into WindowMaker if you want
something fast and responsive, even on slow-to-mediocre hardware.

Cheers,
Bowie