[Tfug] Way, way ot: "Millenery"

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Tue Mar 25 21:24:46 MST 2008

On 25 Mar 2008 at 19:54, Bexley Hall  wrote:

> --- Angus Scott-Fleming <angussf at geoapps.com> wrote:
>
> > On 25 Mar 2008 at 15:05, Bexley Hall  wrote:
> >
> > > Or, whatever the *male* version thereof would be??
> > >
> > > Anyone have any experience with this sort of
> > thing?
> >
> > Well, a "milliner" makes and sells hats (gender not
>
> Actually, I was under the impression that millenery
> pertained to the making of *women's* hats
> (specifically).  Hence, my qualification re:
> "the *male* version thereof".

I've always _thought_ of millinery as female, but the definition I found online
didn't specify that:

  milliner - definition of milliner by the Free Online Dictionary,
  Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    mil·li·ner  (ml-nr) n. One that makes, trims, designs, or sells hats.
  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/milliner

OTOH:

  Millinery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Millinery refers to hats and other articles sold by a milliner to women,
    or the profession or business of designing, making, or selling hats,
    dresses, and hat trim to women.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliner

STFW and you can find anything ....

--