[Tfug] Way, way ot: "Millenery"

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 08:48:52 MST 2008

--- Angus Scott-Fleming <angussf at geoapps.com> wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2008 at 19:54, Bexley Hall  wrote:
>
> > Actually, I was under the impression that
> millenery
> > pertained to the making of *women's* hats
> > (specifically).  Hence, my qualification re:
> > "the *male* version thereof".
>
> I've always _thought_ of millinery as female, but
> the definition I found online didn't specify that:
>
>   milliner - definition of milliner by the Free
> Online Dictionary,
>   Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
>     mil·li·ner  (ml-nr) n. One that makes, trims,
> designs, or sells hats.
>   http://www.thefreedictionary.com/milliner

Ah, apparently my spelling is off  :<  (that wouldn't
be the *first* time!  :> )

> OTOH:
>
>   Millinery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>     Millinery refers to hats and other articles sold
> by a milliner to women,
>     or the profession or business of designing,
> making, or selling hats,
>     dresses, and hat trim to women.
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliner

My own "definition" is the result of a text book
I had read many years ago.  I don't recall *any*
"non-female" hats (or head coverings) described
in it.  Of course, men wear hats as well so I
assumed there would be a different term for
"maker of hats for men" (since the title of the
book wasn't "female millinery" or "millinery for
females", etc. -- leading to the impression that
millinery must refer to "hats" *and* "females")

Unfortunately, it must not be a book that I have
in my collection as I don't find any titles like
that listed in my book database.  :<

Oh, well... I can start trying the local libraries.

> STFW and you can find anything ....

One has to take "references" found on-line with a
large grain of salt -- as the credentials of their
authors are often dubious (as are often those
of "real" publishers/authors!  ;-)

Thanks!
--don