[Tfug] WorldCare sale, reprise

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 14:58:46 MST 2008

Hi, John,

--- John Karns <johnkarns at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Bexley Hall
> <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Apparently, WC has kept their courtyard sale
> >  going this week (all week).  However, the
> >  servers are usually not visible -- they take
> >  up too much room and there is very little
> >  "public" demand to see them.
> >
> >  However, if you stop by between 1 and 3 on
> >  most days, Joe (Alwine) is usually there to
> >  bring folks in to look them over.  Most have
> >  *some* Linux distro installed and bootable.
> >  Dragging a monitor over and finding a place
> >  to sit is what you'll need to do.
> >
> >  Dennis is often there on Thursdays after
> noon-ish.
> >  He builds most of them so is probably worth
> >  pestering with any detailed questions.
>
> Did they change the hours lately?  I thought that
> the hours were limited to 10a - 2p.

Hours tend to vary.  I *think* the sale hours are
*formally* something like 9-1.  But, folks tend to
be working earlier and later than that.  E.g., I
sometimes show up at 8 and work until 4.

The facility tries to stay open for donations
until about 2 or 3.  The store tends to close by 3.

<mumblemumble>

As I have said, there are scant few of us trying to
do a *lot*.  So, our public presence tends to
suffer -- recall that our goal isn't to sell things
but, rather, emergency relief, recycling, etc.
So, if there is no one free to "mind the store",
the store closes while we concentrate on the
things behind the scenes (on average, we process
over 3 tons of goods every day -- that's all got
to be unloaded, sorted, tested, etc. *each* day)

Showing up with a donation after 3 will probably
get you a nasty look (the back gate is usually
closed and locked before then).  Likewise,
knocking on the front door before 9 will likely
result in sore knuckles  :>  (its a big building
so chances are, no one will even *hear* your knock)

Saturdays we have fewer folks working so hoping to
"walk in" and find someone is a crap-shoot.  OTOH,
we tend to be there a little later.

And, if there's a *disaster* someplace (e.g.,
Katrina), all bets are off!  :>

So, to play it safe, best to stick to those core
hours when you are most likely to find people
available (10-2).  I mention the other hours
for folks who want to make special plans...

--don