[Tfug] Dilemma: Qwest or Comcast?

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Mon Jun 2 15:43:13 MST 2008

There was one other thing I forgot to add, but it's not really Qwest's
fault (I'll say half user error and half Actiontec's fault). With cable
modems in the past, I've always been used to the modem passing the
external IP (WAN address) on to the router. The free "basic" modem that
Qwest gives you is actually a basic router, except that it only has one
ethernet port (smart, huh?).

So after much searching and tinkering, and a little cursing, I finally
discovered I had to set the modem to operate in "RFC 1483 transparent
bridging mode". Ahhh... good ol' RFC 1483 to the rescue. Then I could do
PPPoE authentication on the router side, which is exactly what I wanted
(using the Tomato firmware on my trusty WRT54GL, which runs Linux, of
course).

Getting the PPP credentials was another story entirely, which I also
forgot to mention in my last post. Qwest sends a CD and a "quick
connect" username and password in the modem box, the idea being that the
CD will automatically configure your computer to properly access the DSL
services. I'd sooner hammer a 3" nail through my toe than install an
ISP's software---even on my Windows box---so I called up tech support
and asked for the "real" PPP username/password, to which the tech obliged.

I don't think I've forgotten anything else, but I guess I wouldn't know
if indeed it was forgotten. :-)

Matt