[Tfug] Dilemma: Qwest or Comcast?

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Tue Jun 3 13:43:41 MST 2008

The running saga continues. I called up Qwest again today to clarify the
terms of the service visit, and I spoke to someone more knowledgeable
who said it's actually management's (of my apartment complex)
responsibility to wire the two jacks together. The new guy at Qwest said
the second line wasn't showing up for him, which means it's probably not
connected to anything.

Can anyone familiar with telco stuff confirm this? I see the wire coming
out of my apartment at the point where the wall jack in the office is,
but now what? Is the burden on management to switch over the wiring pair
in the switch box? Obviously, inside wiring is their responsibility, but
I thought Qwest owns the switching equipment at the complex and not the
other way around.

Ideally, both jacks would be wired together for the same line and
everything would play together harmoniously. Should I submit a
maintenance request to make it happen, or will they think I'm crazy?

Matt