[Tfug] Dilemma: Qwest or Comcast?

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Mon Jun 2 15:03:30 MST 2008

So, it's been about a month since my original post, and I ended up going
with Qwest. The service has been decent so far, with a few exceptions.

The most glaring problem is that service was connected to my primary
phone line (running into the kitchen) even though I explicitly asked for
a hook-up to the secondary line (running into the office). I have no
desire to station my networking gear and servers in the kitchen, obviously.

When I called Qwest to get the problem resolved, the tech said I might
be charged $85 if the dispatch guy has to come inside my house to check
the wiring. I told her I would absolutely refuse to pay the fee on the
grounds of the problem being their fault and not mine. She said the fee
would be added to my bill whether I wanted it or not. Knowing that the
technician will have no need to check any internal wiring, I told her to
send a guy out, and that I would most definitely fight the fee if it
showed up on my bill.

Also, the service level I'm paying for is 5 Mb/s down and 896 Kb/s up,
but actual speeds are 4100 Kb/s down and about 650 Kb/s up (it varies,
of course, but those are the top speeds I've achieved). I'm planning
another call to tech support to address this issue after my wiring
problems are taken care of. And who knows---the second jack has much
newer wiring than the first one, so the problem might just fix itself. I
realize that quoted broadband speeds are always in terms of "potential",
but I'm only getting 70-80% of what I'm paying for.

Two weeks in, and I'm not completely sold yet, but I feel I'm happier
than I'd be if I had gone with Comcast.

Matt