[Tfug] Bringing the FSF to Tucson

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Fri Jul 18 12:09:54 MST 2008

Just exactly how much money, and for what, are we talking about here?  I
would think a meet-and-greet could be done almost anywhere at the cost of
getting peole down here from wherever (Phoenix)?

Jim

At 12:05 PM 07/18/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi TFUGgers,
>
>I'm wondering who might be interested in helping to bring the Free
>Software Foundation (FSF) down to Tucson for some talks and
>meet-and-greets?  I've been exchanging some email with their
>membership coordinator and they're really interested in sending
>somebody down.
>
>The sticking point is financing the trip.  The FSF is non-profit, so
>they don't have much money.  And TFUG is volunteer-run, so we don't
>have any money.  But Hacks, the on-campus club, is eligible to apply
>for ASUA funds.  So, I'm thinking that maybe TFUG and Hacks can team
>up to make something happen.  I'm going to send a second email to them
>shortly.  (So those of you on both lists will see similar variants of
>this email.)  I'm also thinking that my church might be able to kick
>in some funds but don't want to commit to that until the idea's had a
>chance to work it's way through the committee structure.
>
>Finally, I'd like to ask for volunteers to help organize this event.
>What we would need for the immediate future would be people to do some
>grant writing and editing.  We especially need UofA students, since
>we'd be applying for funds from the UofA.  As the event date comes
>closer, we'll need people to help organize the details of the event,
>itself.
>
>Claude

| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |