[Tfug] Bringing the FSF to Tucson

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 18 12:05:20 MST 2008

Hi TFUGgers,

I'm wondering who might be interested in helping to bring the Free
Software Foundation (FSF) down to Tucson for some talks and
meet-and-greets?  I've been exchanging some email with their
membership coordinator and they're really interested in sending
somebody down.

The sticking point is financing the trip.  The FSF is non-profit, so
they don't have much money.  And TFUG is volunteer-run, so we don't
have any money.  But Hacks, the on-campus club, is eligible to apply
for ASUA funds.  So, I'm thinking that maybe TFUG and Hacks can team
up to make something happen.  I'm going to send a second email to them
shortly.  (So those of you on both lists will see similar variants of
this email.)  I'm also thinking that my church might be able to kick
in some funds but don't want to commit to that until the idea's had a
chance to work it's way through the committee structure.

Finally, I'd like to ask for volunteers to help organize this event.
What we would need for the immediate future would be people to do some
grant writing and editing.  We especially need UofA students, since
we'd be applying for funds from the UofA.  As the event date comes
closer, we'll need people to help organize the details of the event,
itself.

Claude