[Tfug] religious nutcakes

Judd Pickell pickell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 07:02:59 MST 2008

As a general rule I try to stay out of debates that involve religion.
They tend to be unwinnable because they are based almost solely on a
persons belief, and unwillingness to look beyond that.

However, I feel I must take exception to the Malcolm's blind stance on
irrational beliefs. I can certainly understand that some people don't
believe there is a god, and I have heard their side enough to know why
they say so. I don't believe they are right, but that is the beauty of
a free country, I don't have to agree with him on the matter. :)

But as to labeling a belief irrational, that seems a bit, what I would
feel to be, naive. I mean what would constitute a rational belief?
There are people who argue that our reality is even real? Is it an
irrational belief to believe we even exist? But for sake of argument,
lets take something that most people would consider a rational belief.
Lets take the position that graduating college is needed to live a
successful life. Now to help clarify things, success in this
discussion will be monetary, to make sure we don't have any arguments
over what is success.

Now, many people will say you need a college education to be
successful monetarily, and that there is documented evidence of such.
So as such, it would be considered a rational argument. You can prove
the belief. However, how do you explain the belief as rational when
you have someone such as myself who makes a good living as a
programmer, but never earned a college degree. To me,  your belief is
irrational in the since it isn't true, and there is plenty of truth on
my side of the equation as well, if even better a case proving the
opposite.

Even this simple argument falls into the trap of discussing what a
person believes in on a personal level. I personally have experience
that disproves the argument, and of course no matter of facts is going
to change that. So again I ask, what would constitute an irrational
belief? Do you even exist? ;)

Sorry for the long OT post guys.

Sincerely,
Judd Pickell