[Tfug] religious nutcakes

Malcolm Schmerl mjs355 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 00:47:24 MST 2008

Jude Nelson wrote:
> Eric,
>
> You will find in this world that less than 1% of Muslims are
> "nutcakes".  Just like any mainstream religion, there will always be
> small ultraconservative groups within it that give every other
> follower a bad name.  Should I think that all Christians are nutcakes
> because a few of them kill homosexuals and abortion doctors, or wear
> white robes and set crosses on fire?  Should I think that all Jews are
> nutcakes because a few of them want to ethnically cleanse Palestine?
> Should I think that all Hindus are nutcakes because a few of them try
> to occasionally burn down Christian churches?  Of course not--it's
> false induction.  Likewise, not all Muslims are "nutcakes" just
> because a few of them happen to be terrorists.
>
> Regards,
> Jude
>
> On 7/11/08, eric christian <ericdanc at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>>> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:53:14 -0700
>>> From: Michael Omar Gatto <gatto_omar at hotmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [Tfug] religious nutcakes
>>> To: <tfug at tfug.org>
>>>

>>> Meh, I served in Afghanistan as a Marine. I'd hate to nuke it since there
>>> were alot of fine people there and the food is damn good, too. I don't
>>> like my curries radioactive, mind you...
>>>

>> I said the tribal areas, didn't I? thats where the Taliban are attacking
>> us from. Its like the SS went to Liechtenstein 1945 and attacked German
>> cities in the 1950s.
>>
>>> Oh, and as a Persian linguist I don't consider most Muslims as nutcakes
>>> and although I personally find some Egyptians rather annoying sometimes
>>> (used to be married to one) it doesn't automatically make them assholes or
>>> terrorists, me thinks. Rumor has it that UA holds academic conferences and
>>> people, apparently (gasp!) sometimes fly in just for a day to score
>>> brownie points by saying they attended...
>>>
>>> - Mike Gatto
>>>

>> Well, that's just fine. Then you can explain to us the persian concept
>> of "ketman" (arabian "taqiya"). I do consider moslems  as nutcakes
>> because of their concept of "tauchid" (please excuse the German
>> spelling, i know that its spelled otherwise in English "wahid",
>> whatever, but i forget). Tauchid is the essence of islam. Tauchid is the
>> reason why musselmen hate the west (us). In the West we have this
>> plurality,  social life here, private life there, religion here,
>> government there and so forth. Not so for the musselman, there is only
>> one thing, islam (tauchid). Europe had this tauchid brain damage in the
>> Dark Ages, it was called
>>
>>                               "Consensus fidelium"
>>
>> See, goddamit. I don't care about religion or tauchid or moslems and all
>> this bullshit. But they keep attacking us. This is just a waste of time.
>> lets go back to linux, damit.
>> Eric

Jude, your tolerance is admirable, but all the religions you mentioned
are based on a blind faith belief in God for which there is absolutely
no evidence. Such a belief is irrational. I, for one, feel that a
religion based on such irrational belief is, in fact, a form of insanity
and find it not at all surprising that so many bizarre things are done
in the name of religious belief.