[Tfug] CAT5 cables

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 18:21:21 MST 2008

Hi,

I need a *35* foot cable to connect one of my
hosts to the nearest switch.  Of course, my
goodie box only has 25 (feet or less) and *50*
feet.

<insert frown here>

I am not thrilled with the idea of leaving a
coil of 15 feet of "excess wire" someplace
(the room is already littered with cables :< ).

OK, I've got some wire left on the spool from
wiring the house and Joe gave me a gizmo to crimp
RJ45's onto CAT5 cable.  So, I should be able to
just roll-my-own, right?

Any issues I should be aware of before doing this?
(sure seems like it should be a lead-pipe-cinch but
the simple things ALWAYS have hidden consequences).

I realize the connector itself will probably not be
as robust as those molded onto commercial cables.
And, the locking tab will be "exposed" and thus
more likely to get snapped off when the cable is
abused.

Other than that, I can't imagine anything else to
worry about... (so said the wicked which just before
the house landed on her!)

Thx,
--don