[Tfug] CAT5 cables

Matt Jacob matt.jacob at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 20:08:03 MST 2008

You've got the Cat-5 twisted pair cable.
You've got the RJ45 jacks.
You've got the crimper.

Sounds like you're good to go!

Just make sure you pin out both ends as TIA/EIA-568-B (or
TIA/EIA-568-A). It doesn't really make any difference as long as both
ends are the same. Otherwise, you'll end up with a crossover cable, but
it doesn't sound like that's what you want for this application.

Also, you can buy rubber stress-relief boots to cover the jack and tab,
but IMO it's not worth the added cost or effort. If something adverse
happens during normal operating procedures, just cut the end off and
re-crimp. :) I mean, how badly are you going to be abusing the poor cable?

Good luck! The first time is always the hardest, but you can get pretty
good at it with some practice (e.g. wiring a brand-new office... ugh).

Ah, yes, one more tip: make sure to force the lined up wires all the way
into the jack or else you might have connectivity problems. Sometimes
you have to push pretty hard to get everything snug and aligned properly.

Matt