[Tfug] N770 nearly bricked

aj hine pynorsis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:23:06 MST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 1:27 PM, John Karns <johnkarns at gmail.com> wrote:

> > if I understand you, that is done in the reflash. Just use the one of
> > the reflash
> > tools.
> >
> > I use the latest non-HE version and it runs much better than the original
> > version.
>
> That would be the 2006 release, would it not?  I think that's what
> mine came with, IIRC.

version 3.2006.49-2 is the latest
from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_770.php

HE seems to be well regarded as well. But I don't use it.

> > I am also more circumspect in the software I put on the second time around. The
> > repostitorys are mostly run by "some guy" and the stability of the software is
> > determined by how much "some guy" wanted to put into it. Debian it ain't.
> > Command line utilitys seem to have less issues than the GUIs.
>
> I tried to exercise care in what I installed, but did want some
> additions like a versatile video player, a good contact manager, and a
> good calendar program, as I don't want to have to carry a PDA, a cell
> phone and an IT around all the time.
>

> > That being said the little bugger is rock solid now.
>
> /me hopes to get there someday ...

I seem to recall some sort of _horrible problem_ with the mplayer or other
installed video player. Development of some of these ports more or less stopped
with the release of the 800. Leaving them in kludge mode. Calander etc I have
no idea.

> > Also from the control panel go to memory and enable the virtual memory
> > to give the
> > little gerbil inside a little more room to play with. That might also
> > help with stability.
>
> Did that.  Then after hanging once, it corrupted the VM file, I erased
> it via the card reader in the laptop, but ended frying the SD card by
> having the IT inadvertantly turn on while inserting the card - :(

the little card that comes with it is only 64 megs and virtual memory
can want all of it. could that be the issue? amazon has the 2g mmc
cards for 20$

good luck with it anyway -andy