[Tfug] N770 nearly bricked

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 13:27:20 MST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 4:01 AM, aj hine <pynorsis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>but how do you reformat without having a root xterm?
>
> if I understand you, that is done in the reflash. Just use the one of
> the reflash
> tools.
>
> I use the latest non-HE version and it runs much better than the original
> version.

That would be the 2006 release, would it not?  I think that's what
mine came with, IIRC.

> I am also more circumspect in the software I put on the second time around. The
> repostitorys are mostly run by "some guy" and the stability of the software is
> determined by how much "some guy" wanted to put into it. Debian it ain't.
> Command line utilitys seem to have less issues than the GUIs.

I tried to exercise care in what I installed, but did want some
additions like a versatile video player, a good contact manager, and a
good calendar program, as I don't want to have to carry a PDA, a cell
phone and an IT around all the time.

> That being said the little bugger is rock solid now.

/me hopes to get there someday ...

> Also from the control panel go to memory and enable the virtual memory
> to give the
> little gerbil inside a little more room to play with. That might also
> help with stability.

Did that.  Then after hanging once, it corrupted the VM file, I erased
it via the card reader in the laptop, but ended frying the SD card by
having the IT inadvertantly turn on while inserting the card - :(

--
John