[Tfug] Red paving brick nearly Nokia 770'ed

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 09:00:49 MST 2008

Hi all,

I've got this brick in my backyard that I fear may become unusable, due
to a Nokia 770-like approach to its design.

I mean, it looks like an ordinary red brick....normal size, heavy....
but it has this big dumb plastic Fisher-Price carrying handle sticking
out of it labelled "Maemo" that covers like 25% of the brick, and gets
in the way of using it as a brick should be used. The damn thing is
riveted into it, so I can't remove it without destroying the brick. The
underside of the brick has this weird peg sticking out of it as well,
labelled "Qt", and it can't be detached either. If you want to remove
it, the brick won't be usable. Because of the peg, I can't lay the brick
lengthwise and have it be level to the ground. Because of the big
Fisher-Price Maemo handle on the side, I can't use it to pave a sidewalk
or even help build a wall with it, because it's not uniform on all four
sides! It ceases to be a brick---Only "brick-like".

I mean, it's like...why do I want a brick with so much crap attached to
it? It's a BRICK! -- It's supposed to fit within a framework of other
bricks surrounding it!  That's it!

Don't brickmakers understand that the more bad ideas you slap onto a
brick, the worse things become, and the fewer and fewer options you
really have? I wish there was a way to safely strip all the bloat off
the brick so I can actually put it to it's best use, like making a damn
ledge on a 10-story building I can jump off of because nobody
understands the idea of a fast, elegant, lightweight, extensible GUI for
a handheld PC.

Cheers,
Bowie