[Tfug] Repartition Drive with Linux to add Winders

jblais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Mon Feb 18 12:02:16 MST 2008

> Robert Hunter
>

> > I had a need to run Winders on a machine we had previously set
> up for Linux.
>
> Joe, you could boot a live CD, and then just wipe the MBR with:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/yourdrive bs=512 count=1

That's probably what I needed to do --- however...

After we finally got the utility from Western Digital, and we used it to
wipe out the hard drive, we seemed to be getting the same problem.  So we
looked around for Win2k.  Win2K was able to install correctly.

We don't know if it was anything to do with remnants of stuff on the hard
drive, or if it was a CPU card (an EPIC board with Celeron processor and
PC104 stuff).

I think Win2K will run the app I need to run, so I may not waste more time
on it.
We did partition first, then put DOS on the first partition, Win2k on the
second, and we'll get Linux on the third, presumably we'll add grub at that
time.

I really need to learn linux... particularly dd

> HTH,
>
> - --
> Rob

Thanks