[Tfug] UPS sizing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 14:45:12 MST 2008

Hi, Eric,

--- On Wed, 12/31/08, Eric Gearhart <eric at nixwizard.net> wrote:

> > When I lived in the midwest, power outages were a
> > frequent occurrence (e.g., sometimes twice a month).
> > As such, I relied on a *big* UPS (3.5KVA with just
> > about an hour uptime at full load) since it would
> > allow me to keep working *through* the outage.
>
> Hah! What a coincedence:
> "Home Generators"
> http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/31/1724251
> I guess CmdrTaco (Slashdot editor) is one of the poor folks
> in Michigan still without power

<grin>  Well, I never had to live through a prolonged
outage.  Rather, *frequent* outages were more the problem.
(especially in the winter where ice/tree limbs would take
down the lines -- or morons who had forgotten how to
drive in the snow and clipped a telephone pole!)

I wonder if my good fortune *here* has to do with the
fact that our local utilities are below grade?  Or, if
it's all attributable to weather?  Or, just the age of
the infrastructure??

<shrug>