[Tfug] UPS sizing

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Wed Dec 31 13:56:32 MST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I lived in the midwest, power outages were a
> frequent occurrence (e.g., sometimes twice a month).
> As such, I relied on a *big* UPS (3.5KVA with just
> about an hour uptime at full load) since it would
> allow me to keep working *through* the outage.
>
> That monster (it was almost the size of a washing
> machine) is no longer with me (it would have cost
> an arm and a leg to ship it!) -- and I probably have
> no place to *keep* it (since the garage would beat
> the hell out of it in the summer).

Hah! What a coincedence:
"Home Generators"
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/31/1724251
I guess CmdrTaco (Slashdot editor) is one of the poor folks in
Michigan still without power

There are a couple of comments in there that are pretty good... as
usual I end up reading /. more for the comments than the stories
themselves

--
Eric
http://nixwizard.net