[Tfug] UPS sizing

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Wed Dec 31 16:16:46 MST 2008

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 14:45, Bexley Hall wrote:
<snip>
> I wonder if my good fortune *here* has to do with the
> fact that our local utilities are below grade?  Or, if
> it's all attributable to weather?  Or, just the age of
> the infrastructure??

I think you will find it is far more a matter of age and investment (or lack
there of) in infrastructure. Parts of Tucson are great and rarely have
issues... other parts far less so.

In particular, southern-midtown and south of downtown is horrible for power
quality/reliability. The area is roughly bordered by Alvernon/22nd on the NE
and Ajo/6th on the SW. Once they get stuff up and balanced it is *OK*... but
you can expect power to go down in virtually every major monsoon storm (just
ask me about it, Ive put a dozen hours on our datacenter generator and burned
a 100 gallons of diesel in just this last season).

The NW side also frequently has problems, from about Ina to Marana, the Tucson
Mountains to Thornydale. Power blips, ranging from a few missed cycles to
5-10min outages are very common on completely clear days with no apparent
cause.

Adrian