[Tfug] [OT] Thinking about getting an online degree

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Sat Dec 27 19:54:02 MST 2008

Hi,

Well, I come at this from a few angles.

I teach at the CC level (Pima), I was recently in the job market, and
have been a hiring manager for several positions.

Zack Williams wrote:
>>> It is hard to say how Corporate America looks at degrees.
>>>
>> Well I've noticed that the first "hurdle" is HR, and depending on the
>> company your resume might find itself in the "shred" pile off the bat
>> if you don't have a degree... hence the thread. :-)
>>

> Degrees open doors, but not as much as knowing what you're doing, or
> (possibly more importantly) knowing the right people.

Knowing people and knowing how to write tends to help the most.

My current employer actually found me, based on my resume online.

I was turned down for a couple of positions, not even an interview, due
to the lack of degree.

It seems that many places want a BS/BA no matter what field it is in.
> I have a CS degree, which frankly helps me understand a lot of the
> more complex stuff I have to do, and gives a good basis for other
> study.   Most of what I use on a daily basis has been self taught.

I can see a CS degree more than an MIS degree, at the U of A, MIS is a
Business degree with some technology courses sprinkled on top.  Several
of my students at Pima have been MIS students trying to get some hands
on IT classes.
>> I don't know personally if it's true, but I've heard that locally
>> Raytheon can be real sticklers about having a degree...
>>

> It is, at least from the people I've met who've worked with them.  It
> also helps set your pay grade - I've met people who went in without
> degrees, who after attaining them had to quit for 6 months and go back
> working for another department to get an equitable salary because HR
> is screwed up over there....
>

>> Why do you say that? My prospective degree is a "Bachelor's of Science
>> in IT Management" - I thought that the interest I already have in IT
>> would makes things easier, not harder. Do you think boredom will set
>> in, or is it more that a degree won't help if I've already got
>> experience/certifications?
>>

> It really depends... try to see if you can see the course curriculum
> before signing up.  You want things that will interest you, or at
> least stretch you in ways you aren't being pulled right now.
> Personally I've never heard of that degree, and would think it was
> being offered by a trade school unless there's a big name college
> behind it - a CS or MIS degree would be more appealing from a hiring
> standpoint.

I have been looking at U of A south's BAS in networking...
> As for job opportunities, search some job boards and see how many
> people are looking for someone with that degree under their belt.
> Most importantly - try to see if that kind of job is one you want -
> being happy in a job that pays slightly less is far better than making
> a few bucks more and hating it.

Being happy really does count.  Leaving the U of A was not fun for me,
but landing with Computer Task Group, working as a PFE for IBM has
worked out nicely.
> Also, if you have a little time and want to listen to a pretty good
> podcast:, here's a few sysadmins discussing certs, degrees, etc for a
> bit:
>
> http://www.cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=964

             Harry