[Tfug] [OT] Thinking about getting an online degree

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 19:41:19 MST 2008

>> It is hard to say how Corporate America looks at degrees.
>
> Well I've noticed that the first "hurdle" is HR, and depending on the
> company your resume might find itself in the "shred" pile off the bat
> if you don't have a degree... hence the thread. :-)

Degrees open doors, but not as much as knowing what you're doing, or
(possibly more importantly) knowing the right people.

I have a CS degree, which frankly helps me understand a lot of the
more complex stuff I have to do, and gives a good basis for other
study.   Most of what I use on a daily basis has been self taught.

> I don't know personally if it's true, but I've heard that locally
> Raytheon can be real sticklers about having a degree...

It is, at least from the people I've met who've worked with them.  It
also helps set your pay grade - I've met people who went in without
degrees, who after attaining them had to quit for 6 months and go back
working for another department to get an equitable salary because HR
is screwed up over there....

> Why do you say that? My prospective degree is a "Bachelor's of Science
> in IT Management" - I thought that the interest I already have in IT
> would makes things easier, not harder. Do you think boredom will set
> in, or is it more that a degree won't help if I've already got
> experience/certifications?

It really depends... try to see if you can see the course curriculum
before signing up.  You want things that will interest you, or at
least stretch you in ways you aren't being pulled right now.
Personally I've never heard of that degree, and would think it was
being offered by a trade school unless there's a big name college
behind it - a CS or MIS degree would be more appealing from a hiring
standpoint.

As for job opportunities, search some job boards and see how many
people are looking for someone with that degree under their belt.
Most importantly - try to see if that kind of job is one you want -
being happy in a job that pays slightly less is far better than making
a few bucks more and hating it.

Also, if you have a little time and want to listen to a pretty good
podcast:, here's a few sysadmins discussing certs, degrees, etc for a
bit:

http://www.cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=964

- Zack