[Tfug] [OT] Thinking about getting an online degree

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Sat Dec 27 21:30:20 MST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Harry McGregor <micros at osef.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, I come at this from a few angles.
>
> I teach at the CC level (Pima), I was recently in the job market, and
> have been a hiring manager for several positions.

Interesting... you've seen both sides of the fence and the view from space :)

> Knowing people and knowing how to write tends to help the most.
>
> My current employer actually found me, based on my resume online.
>
> I was turned down for a couple of positions, not even an interview, due
> to the lack of degree.
>
> It seems that many places want a BS/BA no matter what field it is in.

I agree... well at least I know how to write reasonably well...

> I have been looking at U of A south's BAS in networking...

Interesting! I had no idea a "public Ivy" like the U of A had a
Bachelor's in Applied Science... a quick Google turned up this page:
http://www.uas.arizona.edu/?p=acad_undergrad_Applied_Sci

That actually looks really interesting... and having UofA on your
resume can't hurt...

My only concern with a BSAS would be academic future - having a
bachelor's from TUI would allow me to step up to a masters at a later
time if I chose to... there's no such thing as a Masters in Applied
Science, so if you have a BSAS I wonder how that works...

Really what I'm looking for above all is to get a Bachelor's degree as
painlessly as possible... as you said some employers want a degree no
matter what, and the area of specialization doesn't even matter that
much... it's as if they just want to see that you can touch out
classes and get the piece of paper or something...

--
Eric
http://nixwizard.net