[Tfug] [OT] Thinking about getting an online degree

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Sat Dec 27 18:29:40 MST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> It is hard to say how Corporate America looks at degrees.

Well I've noticed that the first "hurdle" is HR, and depending on the
company your resume might find itself in the "shred" pile off the bat
if you don't have a degree... hence the thread. :-)

I don't know personally if it's true, but I've heard that locally
Raytheon can be real sticklers about having a degree...

> One recommendation I would make is not to concentrate on course work that is
> in a field you are already working in unless doing so is a requirement of
> getting ahead in that field.

Why do you say that? My prospective degree is a "Bachelor's of Science
in IT Management" - I thought that the interest I already have in IT
would makes things easier, not harder. Do you think boredom will set
in, or is it more that a degree won't help if I've already got
experience/certifications?

> One of the things you might think about is an online education will require
> that you be very disciplined.  If you think you will miss out on the
> classroom then you may want to consider another school.

Yes I thought about that... I'm definitely going to have to have the
motivation to get off my butt and write the dang paper (and get an
external USB keyboard... typing a lot on this Latitude D400 keyboard
would kill me...)

> At any rate getting more education can never hurt.

This is true! And I've got the GI Bill paying for it, so it's "free" so to speak

Thanks Keith!

--
Eric
http://nixwizard.net