[Tfug] A/V drives

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Dec 24 18:14:40 MST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 04:34:51PM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
> And why shouldn't he be?  If you like free software as in liberty, you
> ought to be rightly outraged about this country's drug policies too.
> We are looking more and more like a police state over time, not less
> and less.  People are going to start moving to Russia (at least there
> you can do whatever you want if you have enough money).

Maybe you haven't been checking the papers the past couple of years?  That
boat doesn't float anymore.  You can do *almost* anything you want provided
you don't get in the way of the Kremlin (see Yukos).  And even then the
citizens are less than happy with their new class of robber barons and have
mostly been looking the other way when the Kremlin starts crushing everything
in its path.

>Oh, and speaking to the original question, aren't there custom linux
>distros for this sort of thing, i.e. MythTV? (Actually Myth might be a
>good start).  My friends who use MythTV say it rocks.  You lead me to
>believe (Bexley) that you might be more interested in a production
>environment than building a TiVo, but I suspect the requirements are
>similar.  My friend is just doing DVD's and non-HD, non-digital TV,
>but he says it runs fine on his dedicated old junker CPU.

Yes, MythTV does rock.  A lot.  :)

As for Bexley's query... I'm still not sure what the target is.  It seems to
me that true RT A/V performance should really only matter if you are doing
broadcast.  In every other case I can think of it's perfectly fine for your
A/V pipeline to stall.  As long as the job gets done you shouldn't need to
huge pain and expense of special A/V storage hardware.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org