[Tfug] A/V drives

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Wed Dec 24 16:34:51 MST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Steve Franks <stevefranks at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Eric Gearhart <eric at nixwizard.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Bowie J. Poag <bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Are you high?
>>
>> Bowie what a constructive response! Given this is Tucson, there's an
>> automatic probability bump that he is, in fact...
>
> And why shouldn't he be?  If you like free software as in liberty, you
> ought to be rightly outraged about this country's drug policies too.
> We are looking more and more like a police state over time, not less
> and less.  People are going to start moving to Russia (at least there
> you can do whatever you want if you have enough money).
>
> Steve

Oh, and speaking to the original question, aren't there custom linux
distros for this sort of thing, i.e. MythTV? (Actually Myth might be a
good start).  My friends who use MythTV say it rocks.  You lead me to
believe (Bexley) that you might be more interested in a production
environment than building a TiVo, but I suspect the requirements are
similar.  My friend is just doing DVD's and non-HD, non-digital TV,
but he says it runs fine on his dedicated old junker CPU.

Steve