[Tfug] Passwords in Plain-text? Shell scripts and CIFS

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 15:34:43 MST 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:

> What about doing it the other way around?
>
> Install Cygwin and have the Windows machine periodically rsync its
> stuff to the Linux box. That way you can tunnel through ssh.

This ended up being the way to go...It was really easy to setup and
get going quickly.  It took a minute or two to wrap my head around
installing ssh and rsync so that they worked (it was odd - I had to
use a seperate package called "cwRsync"), but once I got that
figured out, it was easy...

Installing an SSH server (a la the recommendation by Matt) was
out of the question...A bit of a hot political issue - the last time we
ran an SSH server off of the domain controller, we got hacked and it
became a giant mess.  I was asked not to use an SSH server (enter
rsync).

The ssh-key pair method helped here too...

I've done this successfully. I had the backup script in All Users'
> startup items. If you convince your users to log out every day, this
> works well.

That's the plan...Most of my users are out at 5, so it should be a
non-issue.

> I didn't get around to plugging in an annual backup because they
> didn't want to pay me any more. This was because I opposed installing
> Vista and Office 2007 as being too expensive -- "how about a trial of
> Linux and Open Office?" No, that would cost nothing, so can't be of
> any value. I can be pretty convincing, but you can't educate pork.

Ron White said it best - "You can't fix stupid"  :)

Thanks again,

     - Chris

Chris Robbins
Systems Programmer
Department of English - University of Arizona
http://www.homerengineeringcorp.net