[Tfug] Passwords in Plain-text? Shell scripts and CIFS

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Fri Aug 8 07:32:17 MST 2008

What about doing it the other way around?

Install Cygwin and have the Windows machine periodically rsync its
stuff to the Linux box. That way you can tunnel through ssh.

I've done this successfully. I had the backup script in All Users'
startup items. If you convince your users to log out every day, this
works well.

On the server side, I had the backups on daily rotation using the
hard link method, and kept two week's worth of backups on not-much-
disk-space. That was backed up fortnightly to a year's worth of backups.

I didn't get around to plugging in an annual backup because they
didn't want to pay me any more. This was because I opposed installing
Vista and Office 2007 as being too expensive -- "how about a trial of
Linux and Open Office?" No, that would cost nothing, so can't be of
any value. I can be pretty convincing, but you can't educate pork.

R.