[Tfug] ubuntu

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat Apr 19 19:47:57 MST 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:59:25AM -0700, sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:
>comments. Is the
>linux infocom system (the soft infrastrucure) prepared for this? I truly don't
>know. In the U.S., how many TFUG like places are there for people to ask
>questions, how many businesses are set up to field
>questions/responses/technical help, how many communities provide support for
>linux, how many social networking systems (ISP's etc.) 'support' linux?
>If those numbers total to 10,000, then each one would have to deal with 5000
>idiots and newbies. If there are 100,000 places where people get help, then
>that number is only 500. This is just for the U.S.

You're assuming, of course, that TFUG shall save the world.  I know some of
the people on this list and I've always assumed we'd have a hand in the fall
of civilization instead.  :)

Seriously, though, most every town of a certain size has some sort of user's
group.  It might be UNIX related as TFUG is, or more general, like Tucson
Computer Society.  So, there are certainly a lot of them.  But LUGs aren't the
end-all of support.  There are other avenues like IRC and wikis that can
provide assistance.

But think about how people get help for Windows problems now.  A *lot* of
people follow the "Call Susan's kid.  Doesn't he know a lot about computers?"
model of technical support.  Failing that, there are Windows/Mac user's
groups just as for Linux.  And some people (and many businesses) feel better
paying for such support regardless.

Also, you're assuming that the coming Linpocalypse will occur virtually
overnight.  If and when it occurs, it's going to be as gradual a process as it
was getting to the point it's at now.  And during that time, support
possibilities will continue to grow, whether free or for charge, to fulfill
those needs.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.