[Tfug] ubuntu

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:46:45 MST 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:56 PM, <sitkaa at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Does anybody do this for Linux or the BSD's? That is provide custom
> install CD's
> for particular machines. I didn't think anybody did because they
> thought it was
> economic unrecoupable.

Why do you think that Linux people don't do things unless they can make
money off of them?

> And that's with an install CD customized for the target machine.  It's
> > much worse when one installs from a generic install CD, then has to go
> > searching for appropriate drivers.

My last several Linux installs (debian or ubuntu netinst) did a wonderful
job of
locating all my drivers and configuring my sytem, including my laptop.l

> Anyway, all I really want to do is figure out how to provide a helping
> hand for
> everyone. Making linux easier to install, with all the drivers already
> set-up
> and whatnot custom for each machine, this would help push linux over the
> top.

Over the top of what?

> So would having it do everything that windows can do, but easier, this is
> how
> to make linux better. Linux could easily be the dominant OS. The is
> actually
> very little momentum in the software world, especially when so many things
> in
> the open source world are gifts of effort, freely given for the good of
> all.

Domination is inevitable, we're not in a hurry. But we don't want Linux to
be the low-cost Windows clone.  Linux is already substantially easier to
work with than Windows and we aren't interested in regressing.