[Tfug] ubuntu (troll?)

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Tue Apr 15 10:46:21 MST 2008

Your viewpoint isn't trolling, but your "body language" is.  A lot of
people share your view about Linux desktop usability, but getting pissed
about it just gets you yellow socks and labeling as a troll.

For example, I've given up on Linux-on-the-desktop for OS X.  Yes, I pay a
bit more, but it's closer to the "push a button and it works" than Linux
desktop is right at the moment.  However, I remain solidly fixed in the
user camp for Linux from the command line for my serious processing needs
and for equipment and instrument control.  Linux may someday make it as an
OS for the casual user's desktop, but it ain't there yet.  I don't see this
as a fault, just a bald statement of fact.

Jim

At 10:39 AM 04/15/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>I don't consider myself a troll. actually, if you knew me, you would thik
that
>is funny. That you see my feedback as trolling only exemplifies my
>point: there
>is a bridgable divide between the technically inclined and the not-so. It is
>unlikely that this bridge will ever be more than a footbridge swaying in the
>wind simply because techies couldn't give a hoot about making linux simple.
>
>I agree I could take some courses so I could figure out to use the operating
>system. All I really want to do is use the computer for simple things like
>office stuff, connecting to the internet, organizing and storing files, and
>maybe listening to some internet-based music. Does taking a class at Pima
>College (it is cheaper then the University) seem like an awful lot of work to
>anyone besides me? I not, then I suppose I am a troll.
>

>Grrrrrrr!
>Michael

| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |