[Tfug] CAD software that is friendly to Linux

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 16:18:32 MST 2007

--- Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2007, at 9:55 am, Bexley Hall wrote:
> > --- Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:
> >> People don't necessarily already run a free OS.
> > Of course!  But the OP's question was re:
> > "... friendly to Linux".
>
> My point is relevant: the potential customer might
> be running AutoCAD
> on Windows, but what they *bought* was a "CAD
> Workstation". Eric can
> jump in on this business with his own turnkey "CAD
> Workstation"

Ah, OK.  I failed to see that.  <:-(  I.e., the
appeal of Linux in your scenario is NOT to the
end user but, rather, to the "OEM" (Eric, in this
case).  In which case, *any* OS could be substituted
for Linux depending on his comfort level...

> solution. If it falls over less frequently, can deal
> with multiple
> file formats, and produces quality drawings, then
> he's onto a winner.
> The rest is standard entrepreneurship.
>
> >> So, if you were in a position to lease or buy a
> >> turnkey system with a  maintenance agreement,
> >> would you?
> >
> > Me?  No.  I'm essentially a one-man shop.  Every
> > dollar that I spend is *mine*.  I want to invest
> > in things that I can *maintain* down the road.
> > I have no desire to chase the latest MS OS -- *or*
> > the latest Linux kernel!  Rarely do they add any
> > "value" that I need to do my work.
>
> Thanks. That's a valuable insight -- it's actually
> pretty closely
> aligned with the turnkey business model: stability +
> flexibility for
> a mean price. (I'm familiar with the video/animation
> side of things,
> which is just CAD with knobs on.)

In my case, *I* can fix many things (given sources)
*or* learn to live with/workaround non-fatal
shortcomings.  I *can't* afford to be "buying new
bugs" every time a vendor wants to re-fund their
development staff (I don't see many *real* advances
in most products from version N to version N+1;
and I don't consider "buying bug fixes" a worthwhile
way to do business!  :< )

> > Q: How often does a carpenter buy a new hammer?
> > Ans: when the old one WEARS OUT (and, chances are,
> > the *new* hammer will be the *same* make/model as
> > his *old* hammer.)
> How do nail guns, glue, electric screwdrivers and
> staples fit your argument? :-P

Same applies.  How often does he buy a new nail gun?
My point is, I'm in the market for a good tool at a
good price.  *Not* the "latest toy" -- even at a
*great* price!

E.g., I don't watch movies on my computer... or,
listen to music on it.  I have a television and
a "stereo" for those things, respectively, and
don't see how moving those "capabilities" to my
computer enhances my lifestyle or work efficiency.
Therefore, they just aren't worth the *money* to
purchase nor the *time* to install/maintain.

<shrug>

But, I'm an olde farte... :>

> > but your still playing the same scratched up
> vinyl!)
> >
> > :>
> >
> > (said as someone who wishes he could recover
> *half*
> > the money he p*ssed away on audio kit!  :< )
>
> OT: Seen this?
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?
> storyId=11851842
>
> I wonder how long it'll be before this makes it to
> the high-end audiophile world?

I recall talk of a "laser" based turntable many years
ago.  Something I wouldn't mind *borrowing* just
long enough to transfer all my bootleg vinyl onto
more "resilient" media.  :-/

(yeah, like when am I ever going to have the *time*
to do that???!  :< )