[Tfug] CAD software that is friendly to Linux

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Mon Sep 17 17:01:07 MST 2007

On Sep 17, 2007, at 9:55 am, Bexley Hall wrote:
> --- Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:
>> People don't necessarily already run a free OS.
> Of course!  But the OP's question was re:
> "... friendly to Linux".

My point is relevant: the potential customer might be running AutoCAD
on Windows, but what they *bought* was a "CAD Workstation". Eric can
jump in on this business with his own turnkey "CAD Workstation"
solution. If it falls over less frequently, can deal with multiple
file formats, and produces quality drawings, then he's onto a winner.
The rest is standard entrepreneurship.

>> So, if you were in a position to lease or buy a
>> turnkey system with a  maintenance agreement, would you?
>
> Me?  No.  I'm essentially a one-man shop.  Every
> dollar that I spend is *mine*.  I want to invest
> in things that I can *maintain* down the road.
> I have no desire to chase the latest MS OS -- *or*
> the latest Linux kernel!  Rarely do they add any
> "value" that I need to do my work.

Thanks. That's a valuable insight -- it's actually pretty closely
aligned with the turnkey business model: stability + flexibility for
a mean price. (I'm familiar with the video/animation side of things,
which is just CAD with knobs on.)

> Q: How often does a carpenter buy a new hammer?
> Ans: when the old one WEARS OUT (and, chances are,
> the *new* hammer will be the *same* make/model as
> his *old* hammer.)
How do nail guns, glue, electric screwdrivers and staples fit your
argument? :-P

> but your still playing the same scratched up vinyl!)
>
> :>
>
> (said as someone who wishes he could recover *half*
> the money he p*ssed away on audio kit!  :< )

OT: Seen this? http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?
storyId=11851842

I wonder how long it'll be before this makes it to the high-end
audiophile world?

R.