[Tfug] More RDBMS stuff

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Fri Sep 7 14:56:57 MST 2007

On 09/07/2007 02:41 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> So "schemas" are where you hitch your
> wagon and databases are obsolescent.  Thanks!
> It *seemed* like the two were doing similar
> things in different (and incompatible) ways.

Keep in mind that in Oracle 8i (probably newer versions
too, but I cannot say so equivocally), you can tune
databases, but not schemas. For example: database block
size, query cache, db cache, etc.

Generally, you would not put a transactional
application and a warehouse application in the same
database as they need very different parameters to be
properly tuned for performance. For example you would
likely use a much larger block size for a data
warehouse than in a transactional database.

--
Glen