[Tfug] More RDBMS stuff

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 15:21:28 MST 2007

Greetings!

--- Glen Pfeiffer <glen at thepfeiffers.net> wrote:

> On 09/07/2007 02:41 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> > So "schemas" are where you hitch your
> > wagon and databases are obsolescent.  Thanks!
> > It *seemed* like the two were doing similar
> > things in different (and incompatible) ways.
>
> Keep in mind that in Oracle 8i (probably newer
> versions
> too, but I cannot say so equivocally), you can tune
> databases, but not schemas. For example: database
> block size, query cache, db cache, etc.
>
> Generally, you would not put a transactional
> application and a warehouse application in the same
> database as they need very different parameters to
> be
> properly tuned for performance. For example you
> would
> likely use a much larger block size for a data
> warehouse than in a transactional database.

Understood.  I think all of my applications
and data sets are similar enough that I can live
with whatever I end up with (figuring out
what to put on slow media and what to put on
faster media will probably be a more significant
issue for me  :< )

And, since PostgreSQL doesn't let me work across
database boundaries, I'm pretty much *stuck*  :<
(it *appears* that you can reference objects in
other databases in 8i -- though I haven't read
enough to swear to that...?)

Thx,
--don