[Tfug] More RDBMS stuff

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 14:41:27 MST 2007

Greetings!

--- Terence Rudkin <trudkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/5/07, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hopefully a *simple* question re: PostgreSQL
> > (or, any other "enterprise class" RDBMS?).
>
> The conscept of both multiple DB and SCHEMA is a bit
> arcane.
> postgreess carries this from its ingress days.

Hmmm... I didn't think ingres supported schemas.
I'll have to check my manuals...

> Most other rdbms have
> an environment that is one db and many schema if
> needed.

(much of the balance of this reply snipped)

Ah, OK.  So "schemas" are where you hitch your
wagon and databases are obsolescent.  Thanks!
It *seemed* like the two were doing similar
things in different (and incompatible) ways.

> Informix books follow the same concept as postgress
> so maybe something
> related to informix may help.

I'll see what I can find.  Thanks a *lot*!

--don