[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Thu May 17 14:03:02 MST 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 10:29 pm, christopher floess wrote:

> wasn't DOS
> kind of modeled after Unix?

CP/M actually. Which shares some of *its* heritage with Unix.

> So MS takes the time to go to the patent office with stuff that was
> developed by people who don't bother to take the time to patent
> their stuff, and all of a sudden they are ones who one these ideas?

In the eyes of the law, yes. But for "ideas" substitute "descriptions
of implementations of ideas" -- you can't patent an idea. However
close people actually get to that, you still can't patent "An idea
for a user interface that changes according to what mode a program is
in." But you *can* patent "A method of altering user interface
controls depending on current workflow conditions." Or whatever.

But then, the patent model was there for *all* to use. You don't have
to be a big company to patent inventions like this. Just because MS
puts more effort into patenting its dung than other hobbyists, it's
ended up on top. So are we talking sour grapes here? (And just in
case you think I think so, my answer's no.)

R.