[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Stephen Hooper stephen.hooper at gmail.com
Thu May 17 14:19:43 MST 2007

On 5/17/07, Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:

> On May 16, 2007, at 10:29 pm, christopher floess wrote:
>
> > wasn't DOS
> > kind of modeled after Unix?
>
> CP/M actually. Which shares some of *its* heritage with Unix.

Correct!

Also, I guess some of the stuff looks remarkably similar to VMS
(especially in the networking area), but that may all just be hearsay
:}

And also, I would think Microsoft is probably Ok, in terms of any
"heritage", as they did (at least at one time) have rights to UNIX
from AT&T (Xenix).  That pre-dated CP/M...