[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Thu May 17 05:35:44 MST 2007

On 5/17/07, christopher floess <skeptikos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I can't help but think that any credibility of this patent infringement
> stuff is
> totally contingent on the fact that someone simply won
> the race to the patent office.

Or just was the first to be willing to pay the team of patent lawyers
to write it up and submit it. One of the big problems with patents for
individuals or non-profits is the cost to apply for one. I don't
imagine too many FLOSS programmers being able come up with the
thousands of dollars to patent a genuinely new idea. (Whether it would
be a good idea to do that is another question entirely.)
JDR