[Tfug] [tfug] Sun Ultra 5 UPA port?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 14:19:13 MST 2007

Hi, Jude,

> I recently acquired a used Sun Ultra 5 workstation
> (series 3 (i.e. can
> support the 400 MHz UltraSPARC IIi module and 50ns
> RAM)).  Looking at its
> board, it seems to have a UPA graphics port.  This
> would make sense, because
> it's the same board as the Ultra 10, and the Ultra
> 10 usually ships with a
> Creator3D or an Elite3D UPA card.  Has anyone ever
> heard of someone running
> a UPA graphics card on an Ultra 5?  There isn't a
> gap on the back of the
> chassis for one to fit, but that can be changed :)
> I'm not sure whether or
> not the UPA port is physically enabled, however--can
> anyone confirm this?

I don't bother keeping track of the various names
for the slots, etc. on Sun kit  :<  (life is too
short!).  I run an ultra5 with the onboard video
(perhaps it is called m64?) and an ultra10 with
the same configuration (I pulled the creator 3D card
from the U10 since I run it headless, anyway, and
why waste more power running a 3D card with nothing
attached?!  :>  )

Note that the height of the U5 chassis is probably
*not* sufficient for a 3D card to fit with the cover
closed.  If you want to run it with a head, a better
bet is to just grab a U10 instead!

Or, something *other* that a U{5,10} that isn't
shckled with a crappy IDE interface!

--don