[Tfug] headless systems

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 08:47:17 MST 2007

I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to run a system remotely.
I've never really been able to get an understanding for it. I know there
is ssh, but that's based on secure connections, which I'm not really
conerned with, since this is just going to be a private network used
to tinker around with network topologies.

For some reason, I seem to remember that ssh doesn't really have
to involve key encryption and all of that, but is that the way
systems are supposed to be run remotely?

At work we telnet into our AIX server, and I've had null modem
connections in the past, but there were problems with certain
characters and things like the backspace key.

Basically I would like to be able to log into the system and have
full control of it without any character garbling issues just like I
was sitting in front of it with a csh prompt.

Or what would be even better is if I could have a graphical window
that represents the desktop, but I know that that get's kind of weird
given X's client-server model, where the server actually the system
running X and the clients are the program's being run remotely.

Any way, any help sorting this stuff out would be great. Even
an appropriate google query would set me straight. Thanks
everyone ~ Chris
--
Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz