[Tfug] headless systems

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Fri Jun 22 08:59:18 MST 2007

We use ssh on all our servers, whether they are in the same room or in a
different country. Never had any problems with it. Works fine with Suse,
Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu... We no longer use telnet or ftp. I guess there
is no advantage to using ssh on a LAN, but for us there is no reason not
to use it as it works just fine. Helps to keep the interface to all our
servers somewhat consistent.

You can install a desktop and then use VNC to connect to it remotely.
Also I think KDE has a remote desktop feature built in. I've yet to
investigate vnc4server which I believe starts the desktop on demand when
a VNC connection is made.

Andy

--
Andy