[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 18:38:30 MST 2007

--- Adrian <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 June 2007 17:32, Bexley Hall wrote:
> > --- tponsford <tponsford at rnsmte.com> wrote:
> > > I'm really surprised that *smart* evaporative
> > > coolers are not really
> > > being marketed. A combo AC/EC with an embedded
> > > controller would probably
> > > pay for itself in just a few summers.
> >
> > Exactly.  However, the big problem IMHO is you
> > also need control over *venting* in order to
> > run a dual cooling system "automatically"
> > (i.e. "motorized windows")
>
> Actually... there is already a solution for this in
> dual-cooled houses. As you
> drive around town, look at the roof of houses with
> both AC and swamp coolers.
> On some you will see what looks like an abandoned
> down-draft duct, it is not.
> It is an exhaust duct with a rain cap on the top
> (air escapes under the
> edges) with self-closing damper inside. Run the AC
> and the air circulates in
> the house, run the swamp and the fan pressure opens
> the damper and hot air
> flows into the return ductwork and out the rooftop

Hmmm... I was going to comment that this seems
similar to your previous comment re: only opening
*one* window.  But, I see a key difference here:
these homes have return ducts for the HVAC.
(our home has a wacky "furnace-in-the-middle-of-the-
house" scheme whereby the intake plenum is simply
the bottom of the furnace!  :< )

> outlet. Never leave a window open again...

If your previous "single window" comment still
applies, then I can work around this by just
motorizing the roof-windows (skylights)?