[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu Jun 21 02:31:49 MST 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 18:38, Bexley Hall wrote:

> > the house, run the swamp and the fan pressure opens
> > the damper and hot air
> > flows into the return ductwork and out the rooftop
>
> Hmmm... I was going to comment that this seems
> similar to your previous comment re: only opening
> *one* window.  But, I see a key difference here:
> these homes have return ducts for the HVAC.
> (our home has a wacky "furnace-in-the-middle-of-the-
> house" scheme whereby the intake plenum is simply
> the bottom of the furnace!  :< )

They make retrofit kits as well. Had to go look it up, they are called
"barometric dampers" and come in several forms. A couple I have seen either
take it directly off the AC return or, like my neighbor a couple doors down,
there is an exhaust duct in the ceiling of the central hall. One such example
of a retrofit kit is:
http://www.updux.com/

And I found a handy-dandy table of cooler output temperature vs humidity and
outside temperature:
http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/96/960511.html#96051128

Time to start brushing up on PIC programming.

Adrian