[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Wed Jun 20 18:01:12 MST 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 17:32, Bexley Hall wrote:
> --- tponsford <tponsford at rnsmte.com> wrote:
> > I'm really surprised that *smart* evaporative
> > coolers are not really
> > being marketed. A combo AC/EC with an embedded
> > controller would probably
> > pay for itself in just a few summers.
>
> Exactly.  However, the big problem IMHO is you
> also need control over *venting* in order to
> run a dual cooling system "automatically"
> (i.e. "motorized windows")

Actually... there is already a solution for this in dual-cooled houses. As you
drive around town, look at the roof of houses with both AC and swamp coolers.
On some you will see what looks like an abandoned down-draft duct, it is not.
It is an exhaust duct with a rain cap on the top (air escapes under the
edges) with self-closing damper inside. Run the AC and the air circulates in
the house, run the swamp and the fan pressure opens the damper and hot air
flows into the return ductwork and out the rooftop outlet. Never leave a
window open again...

> > I think Tucson was rated the 4th sweatiest city in
> > the country (with
> > Phoenix, numero uno!) no doubt due to the number of
> > people who keep
> > their evaporative coolers on even during the
>
> That is complete crap!  Spend a Summer in Chicago,
> Boston, etc. (have you forgotten what DC was like???)
> and you'll quickly opt to "summer" in Tucson!
> (I can't imagine feenigs being much worse even
> despite the delta T).

Agreed! 90deg/70% humidity in Nebraska during summer is torture compared to a
brisk 105deg/5% humidity day in Tucson.

Adrian